10 Restaurants Worth the Drive
Choosing favorites in Brenham is hard, but here are 10 places to eat in downtown Brenham that are worth the drive from the big city… and not one of them is a chain.
- Brenham Grill – Located inside the Ant Street Inn, this little restaurant boasts a variety of different foods. American, Mexican and Italian blend together nicely to make a big menu, the prices are great, and the ambience is cozy – complete with a huge chandelier worth checking out. Seating is limited, so a wait is sometimes in order, but it’s worth it. The waitstaff are the owners – every day – and they will go out of their way to accommodate you if you ask nicely.
- Yumm! Sweets & Eats – This little gem is actually two places in one. The restaurant side serves up pizza, wraps, burgers, salads and a wide variety of beverages. You’ll want to get a to-go box to save room for the other side – the sweet side. Old fashioned candy, homemade fudge, Blue Bell ice cream, Italian gelato, chocolate truffles and more! The style here is very laid back and casual. You order & pay up front, then choose a table. Simple system, really good food.
- Ninety Six West – You’d never expect to find a wine & tapas bar in Brenham, but here it is! Ninety Six West boasts a big wine and beer list and fancy food on various sized plates. If you want a little something and a drink, no problem. If you want a bigger something and a bottle, they’ll take care of you. And if you like fresh air, this is the place for you. Ninety Six West is the only restaurant in the county with official outdoor seating – and it’s shaded, too.
- BT Longhorn – Steak, seafood, full bar… this is a casual place to just hang out with your friends and enjoy good food. The decor is rather saloon like, the location is just a block off the main square, and the menu is varied to suit almost anyone.
- Must Be Heaven – Quiche, soup, sandwiches – all of that and more in a fun soda fountain kind of place. Order & pay at the counter, carry your deliciousness to a table, then dive in and enjoy. This is a great place for kids, folks who want a light lunch, dessert lovers and take out orders. When you walk out the door, turn to your right and check out the mural – a fantastic artistic expression of what makes Brenham so great.
- Funky Art Café – This is truly a funky place, from the art on the walls to each menu item’s name. Everything here is delicious and boasts a wonderful fusion of flavors & ingredients.
- Las Americas Latin Cuisine – The newest international offering in Brenham, this little place serves bold flavors from South America.
- Smitty’s Café & Bakery – If you’re looking for a good burger, this might be your go-to spot. Relaxed atmosphere, good food and even a selection of yummy baked things.
- Volare Italian Restaurant – Fine Italian food and wine, Volare (vo-lar-ay) is quaint, cozy and authentic. You can dress up, or come casual, for lunch and dinner. Volare is located just a couple of blocks east of the downtown square in a big brown house that’s perfect for just the two of you, or the 20 of you. There’s even a little gift closet full of Italian products like pasta, olive oil, and fun wine-like things.
- Kay’s Cuisine for the Soul – Owner, Kay, serves a variety of choices in a little restored house a few blocks south of the downtown square. From the pork fried rice to the chicken salad, Kay fuses American food with Japanese flavors and style. It’s both charming and delicious.
Of course there are more – this is just an appetizer to the choices in Brenham & Washington County! You can view our Dining section to see all our great restaurants.
Ask us for a Visitor Guide so you can plan your journey to Brenham to give your taste buds a vacation.